FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Africa Peacebuilding Institute (API) offers an annual training of peacebuilding and conflict transformation rooted in and responding to challenges emerging from the African context. Practitioners come together to study and reflect on conflict transformation theory and practice, and to interact with others involved with peacebuilding work. API also offers consultancy services to individuals and organizations through trained, accredited professionals in thematic areas of peacebuilding, conflict transformation, mentorship and psychosocial support.
The API 2022 annual training is going to be online. Interested applicants should consider this when applying.
Interested applicants should meet the following qualifications:
- Ability to communicate (write and speak) in English;
- Access to good internet connection and a mobile device (computer is preferred, or cell phone) with a camera and microphone;
- Basic understanding of online tools including email, Google and Zoom;
- Basic understanding and/or experience in peacebuilding and/or related areas of community development work;
- Ability to clearly outline an action plan for applying the learnings to one’s context (see Application form),
- Commitment to attend and actively participate in all sessions of the course/s (see Attendance policy),
- Willingness to sign and abide by the Ethical Statement and other policies (see Application form),
- Commitment to open dialogue and active listening, to peace, non-violence and reconciliation.
Applications are available on our website. Applications are considered completed when all supporting documents are submitted, including the signed Ethical Statement and Recommendation letter.
Applicants can register for one or more courses that interest them OR register for the full month, attending 4 courses in total. Registering for a full month of training is highly recommended.
Courses are taught in English. Limited translation may be provided, depending on the need and resources available. This is decided by the number of non-English speaking applications received.
API will process the application within one week of receiving it. Once an applicant is accepted, s/he will receive an Invitation Letter and Invoice (if applicable). They are responsible to pay these fees before the course date to confirm their enrollment. The enrolled participant will receive further communication from API to help them prepare for the training.
The cost per course is USD $200.
Some scholarships are available to eligible applicants. Scholarships are limited and given on a first-come, first-served basis.
The cost per course is USD $200 and includes all expenses related to the course (registration, facilitation, study materials, online classroom, etc.). Please consider that additional costs may be needed but are not included in the registration (local transport, data bundles or other technology, meals or accommodation). These are for the participant's account.
We offer Consultancy services to individuals and organizations.
Our monthly newsletter highlights our program and the activities of our alumni and partners. Please subscribe!
Do you have a story of building peace to share? Or any questions regarding our programming? Contact us!
API is not yet an accredited institution; however, its faculty and courses are continuously refined for the highest possible standard. Successful participants will be issued a Certificate of Completion at the end of their course. API cannot guarantee that this Certificate will be accepted by other academic institutions.
API is a project of a parent NGO, not a funding organization. We cannot provide funds for step-down training or other peace projects. For alumni, it is our hope that the alumni’s sponsoring organization will support their peace work.